Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas time!

 
      I love the holiday season and any chance to start the Christmas magic early sounded good to me so this year was our first official Elf on the Shelf.  As you can see, our Elf "Jack" (named by Peanut) got into quite a bit of mischief... and a few more that I didn't get a picture of.  One morning he was in Peanut's stocking and another he had invaded the gingerbread house!  Peanut gave him a stern warning to not eat the gingerbread...smile.

 
We had a great time at our friend Rocco's annual holiday party and came home with full tummys, presents, and a Christmas craft!

Loving having a fireplace to hang the stockings by "with care", but Best maintains my card display is probably a huge fire hazard....hmmm. Might need to rethink that one next year.  But I love having them all hanging in the living room for everyone to see.  We started opening them together as a family at dinner each night this year and it made them even more special.  Peanut loved all the mail "for him".
Each day Jack the Elf left a treat sent by Santa for Peanut.  If you're not familiar with the story the gist is that your Elf watches you all day from somewhere in your house and then at night flies to the North Pole to report on your behavior to Santa.  We just added the "he brings back a treat for the good boys" part to make it more fun.   Proud to report Peanut got a treat every day. 
One of my sweetest memories of this Christmas will always be when Peanut looked under the tree and then came to me asking which presents were for the baby.  At that point there were none and he wanted to give the baby a gift so he got one of his old rattles and wrapped it up.  Such a kind heart.
And he loves tape let me tell you. 
Christmas Eve night we went to see Uncle Rob and the Frerk kids.  I am so disappointed I forgot to get a picture of Peanut with Uncle Rob but we have been invited over to go sledding at his house so we will do that then.
Uncle Rob and the kids picked a perfect gift for Peanut.  A Minnesota Wild pillow pet. 
As you can see... he loves it!
We got home that evening and when I asked Peanut what the note to Santa should say this is what he told me. He loves Santa but I guess he felt a cookie exchange was fair...funny he didn't seem to mind giving away the carrot one bit!
Christmas Eve morning we had found Jack sitting in Peanut's chair holding a package that was to be opened that night.  Inside was the Elf on the Shelf movie!  We made some cocoa and cuddled up with Best on the sofa downstairs to watch it on the big t.v. 
Here was what Peanut saw when he got downstairs on Christmas morning.  He was so excited.
We let him get at the big gifts from Santa that weren't wrapped and then Best and I took a breakfast break to enjoy our tradition of orange rolls.  I make them in this same dish every year.  It was given to me by one of my favorite students I ever taught.
We tried to persuade Peanut to slow down enough to eat but he was "on the road".  He did drive by the breakfast table to say "I will take my milk".  Ha!  He took a swig, put it in his "trunk" and took off.  Circling the downstairs saying he was on the way to a basketball game.  The hoop was a hit too!
After our breakfast and coffee we finally convinced Peanut that his car wasn't going anywhere and if he checked his stocking there just might be some more goodies for him inside!  There was...and that's chocolate on his mouth.  Smile.
The trucks were his favorite (thanks Mom and Dad).  He also got some Thomas the Train books and a bell from Santa's sleigh.  He really wanted that bell after we read The Polar Express like a hundred times!
Here is Peanut enjoying some of his loot:
"Aunt Mimi!  Can you hear me? I love my present!"
Trying to get him to look up was impossible.  But I don't blame him.  Too much fun to be had.
So I snuck a kiss.  Thanks for the Yonanas maker Gammie and Papa.  We have already used it with our friends and it was a hit!

Best told me a few days before Christmas that he had picked up one more present for Peanut.  I told him not to tell me what it was so I would be surprised too.  It was Spider Man walkie talkies and what fun they are!  Here is the first exchange.  Uh...Peanut... you might need a hands free device.
Roger that!  Funny story: When I later tried to talk to Peanut on them he just kept saying "Daddy, are you there?"  "Where is Daddy?"  So I guess he hears my voice enough already...
And why shouldn't a pregnant lady wear Frosty pajamas and a dinosaur hat?  Maybe because she will look like this!
Best got shadow boxes (1 from me and 4 from Gammie and Papa) to hang his special hockey jerseys in. 
Grandma Sharon and Grandpa Chuck sent Peanut a cash register with a working conveyor belt and scanner.  He loves it!  He has a credit card to swipe or cash...although he seems to much prefer credit which worries me a bit... ha ha.  It works with all the play food from his kitchen too so when we play grocery store it is really fun now!
Later that evening Aunt Krissy and the Frerk kids came over for an informal Christmas dinner and more fun.  Peanut adores his big cousins.
Aunt Krissy and the kids brought Peanut a new book.  Here he is having fun unwrapping it.  Trying to make Aunt Krissy a little more festive in the process.
They also gave Peanut a cool New Prague hockey sweatshirt and a scooter!  He loved it and was riding around right away.  We really don't make him wear a helmet just in the basement, but he wanted to!
Christmas pic with the camera remote.
We had such a joyous Christmas.  Hope yours was full of love and fun too!  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you dropped by and how you are doing!