Saturday, January 16, 2016

A New Year!

What a great year it's already shaping up to be!  It seems like Christmas was ages ago and we are totally back in our winter/school routine with Peanut two weeks in and Sister starting her classes back up yesterday.  I was so excited that she had a full class this session.  She LOVES school and her friends and was so happy to see everyone.  She insisted on wearing her big girl panties to school and told me "I tell Jodi (her teacher) poo-potty."  So I let her and she did!  She started up with the whole potty thing a few months ago and I knew it was early but I didn't want to discourage her so we just went with it.  I'm glad I did because the whole experience has really been positive and she is so proud.   Here she is receiving a homemade gummy worm for dry panties and a successful potty trip!  Peanut is making out like a bandit (as Papa would say) on this whole deal because each time she gets a gummy he also gets one for his role as "encourager".  It's so sweet because she is as excited to share with him as she is to get the treat herself and his words of encouragement mean so much to her.
  
She also makes a pretty cute mail lady.  Peanut is usually zipping around in one of the cars in his Policeman's outfit while she tends to her babies, delivers mail, or chooses another costume from the collection.  We now have Policeman, Fireman, Construction worker, Mailman, and Hockey Player to name a few.  Maybe I should get a pint sized pair of yoga pants for a "Mom" costume... smile. 
 Peanut has moved into Best's office to work on his little Legos.  He has a few on his high shelf in his bedroom but this space works well for him to be able to leave out his work in progress and have it safe from Sissy's little hands.  He really gets into his work and I love to see his imagination and concentration. 
I just had to include this one because I love how she's looking up at him.  Peanut told me that he was going to make up his own song and asked if I would right it down for him.  Of course I obliged and got a paper and pen.  When I asked him to give me the lyrics to his song he said, "Do you know Jingle Bells?  Ok, just write that down."  Ha! 
I will admit that Best does most of the outdoor entertaining and I appreciate it so much.  I have gotten out a couple of times though and here is the shot to prove it!  Sissy is like me, she likes to go out for a bit but is always ready to head in for a warm bath or a snack and cocoa when I offer. 

When we moved the Christmas tree we were left with a little nook just right for this table.  We call it the reading table...well, actually I call it the reading table and the kids call it the snack table.  Each afternoon after nap they get their little bowls and choose a snack and read together and I read out loud to them.  They are always switching around their chairs and sharing their snacks (which is humorous because it's the exact same thing).  We usually have our "morning stories" under a blanket on the sofa while I finish my coffee.  These times of the day are my favorite and as I like to say "A good reader is never bored!"
I promised myself that I'd get in the photos more with the kids this year and not worry about what I look like when I do.  This particular day we were having fun at Jumps and Downs.  Peanut and I enjoyed the big slides and Sister loves the ball pit!  We were the only ones there so I actually got in all the jumpers with the kids and got some good exercise! 
One of our other favorite places in that area is this library with a really awesome children's section.  A whole little pretend town, a canoe, a pretend garden and a tree with lots of animal puppets inside are just some of the fun things there.
Sister is usually always the first one up in the mornings and always hungry!  It makes sense because she sleeps for about 12 hours so she needs to eat breakfast right away.  Here she is helping to make pancakes with a homemade mix from our sweet friend Star.  Yum!
We seem to make a lot of things at home in the winter.  I guess it's because we are at home more and the thought of going out in the cold to buy playdoh when you can just make it yourself seems like a no brainer.  Besides, the kids like to help and I always feel like they learn something in the process. 
 
  
We do sometimes bundle up and get out in the cold though when we get cabin fever and this day we went to Mall of America to Toddler Tuesdays.  We had snack and storytime in the Rotunda with a couple of our favorite Ezra Jack Keats books and then visited the Lego Store. Here is Peanut trying out a new piece of technology where you hold a Lego box up to the screen in the store and the contents of the box comes to life!  
Sissy was pretty excited about this lego girl and her dog.  She kissed it several times.  I'm sure it's been touched by lots of germy kids but trust me she's kissed worse...much worse.  Smile.

 I'm excited about this year.  Sister is a full fledged kid now and I realize our baby days are over but I'm totally ok with that.  Every age has it's challenges but this almost two stage is one of the funniest, cutest and most lovable there is!  And Peanut just continues to amaze me with his imagination and how he is making sense of his place in this world.  I have some incredible conversations with him and I'm so thankful for the amount of time we have together.   And of course my Best continues to be the best.  The best husband and father who selflessly works day in and out to give us this wonderful life and supports me while I take this time of life to invest my whole heart and soul into raising these precious children.  I am so thankful for it all.
Hope you are starting 2016 with feelings of hope, joy and love as well.  Have a great year friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you dropped by and how you are doing!