
It was hard to capture how much material was there but this gives you an idea.

One of Sis's favorite things in the world is tape! So unlimited access to the roll was a dream come true. The painters tape was easy to work with and she used plenty!
She made a little house and we pretended that it was for our puppy, and then our babies, and then she decided to make a house for herself. I will have you know that right after I took this picture I actually crawled into that house! She showed me around and its much bigger than it looks...there was a kitchen bedroom and a potty! We enjoyed some tea and cookies and she was so happy.
Meanwhile, Peanut had enlisted the help of this incredibly nice volunteer to build the International Space Station. Yes, that's right. The whole space station. He was talking about bays and docking and solar panels... to be quite honest I was a bit relieved to bow out in lieu of helping Sis with the cardboard house project. Smile.
Turned out he was in very capable hands and they completed the project to Peanut's satisfaction. She was so kind and told me how impressed she was with his knowledge of space. Thanks Grandpa Chuck!
We had a great rest of the day at the museum and this exhibit will be there until January so we may in fact make it back for a second round! Another fun activity we like to do on the first Saturday of the month is the Home Depot Kids workshop. The kids get an apron and earn pins for each project they complete. You can see on Peanuts apron he's already made a few. This Saturday's project was build a helicopter and I knew the kids would love that.
We didn't have Best with us as he was away at a hockey tournament but I've done this by myself with the kids before. The only difference was that this time instead of helping, Sis completed her own project! She was so proud and listened and followed the instructions including waiting for help with the hammer...whew!
They got a choice of stickers and Peanut chose air force because Papa was in the air force and Sis chose army.
That same Saturday we decided to make it a two-fer and headed down the road to Michaels craft store. They also host a kids craft on Saturday and today it was decorating a mug, thankfully no hammers needed!

Peanut chose a monochromatic color scheme but Sis let me work with her and we used lots of colorful flower stickers. The mugs come apart so we can decorate new designs to insert whenever we want. Maybe we can get Peanut to branch out a bit...
Sometimes there are hidden gems in the big city that I can't believe I'm just now finding out about. Although most of these adventures take us an hour away to one of the big twin cities, I find it well worth the trip and I think the kids do too. So when we arrived at our destination I was surprised it was this industrial looking building but we walked the halls until we found what we were looking for.The Brickmania Toy Works Lego open house! This place was amazing. Two huge rooms and giant set ups of towns and landmarks and trains...
I love the detail and I could spend the whole day here. I told one of the employees how much I enjoyed organizing legos (I know my nerd flag is flying high on that one!) and he said I'm hired!
This ship was incredible. Peanut loved it and said to me, "Mom, I have tons of gray legos. I'm gonna build this!" And sure enough when we got home he built a gray ship. It looked nothing like this but it was spectacular and I love how he loves his own creations as much as the professional ones.
There were tables set up for building and I enjoyed watching whole families work together. Although Sis regularly builds with the small size legos now she enjoyed the duplos too. And as soon as he saw the train track Peanut was right in the mix.

This recreation was made completely from single stud legos (the very smallest lego with one peg).

And if all that wasn't enough, in addition there was this Rube Goldberg type creation made from Knex. A huge two story structure that resembled a rollercoaster with balls spinning, dropping, and coasting through.


The three giant train exhibits were constructed by the twin cities Lego train club. I have always been fascinated with model trains but add the element of it all being constructed by Legos and it's just even more incredible.
I'm so thankful that we are able to take these little field trips and gather inspiration and meet others who enjoy building too. I want the kids to see that with creativity, determination, and cooperation they can do big things. And also that sharing your talents can bring so much joy to others. They already bring me so much joy each day and I think they will continue to build great things. Have a great week friends and family!














No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know you dropped by and how you are doing!