Traditions are tricky. On the one hand they are fun to look forward to and create some great memories, on the other they aren't always feasible every year and it's important to be flexible and keep the focus on fun and time together. I think we have done a good job with that this year. We added some new things and have kept some of the traditions from the years before, modifying for our new ages and members of our family! One thing I love to do is make a gingerbread house. I realized last year that it might be a good idea to make some extra gingerbread to snack on while we assembled the house. I mean, we can't be eating the roof if we expect to have a sturdy house, and besides homemade gingerbread men are much tastier than the stuff from the kit! So one night last week after Sister was dreaming of sugarplums... Peanut and I got busy in the kitchen and whipped up some dough. We used a new recipe and it's a keeper. Not too spicy but a nice and gingery with a hint of orange. Yum. It was just the two of us but I took a few pics with the camera remote because I know I want pictures of these memories.

I am resolving to get "in the shot" more this year. I have spent lots of time taking pictures of other people with their children but have been a bit neglectful of giving this gift to my own children. Gonna do better this year.
We let the dough chill overnight and the next morning it was ready to cut. I was surprised how well Peanut could use the cutters and transfer the cookies to the baking sheet.
He reminded me not to take them out of the oven too early. If you do they will run away according to one of our favorite books, The Gingerbread Baby.

While the cookies cooled we got started on the gingerbread house.
Sister watching with a favorite snack of her own!
Peanut showed lots of restraint and didn't eat any décor without asking first, but he did smell each one.
A success!
And here is Sister on her first Christmas Eve. What a doll. I can't wait to see her tomorrow morning. I'm sure she will have plenty of help unwrapping. Smile.
Have a very merry Christmas Eve friends and family and may your stockings be full in the morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know you dropped by and how you are doing!