Thursday, July 7, 2016

Mount Rushmore! (South Dakota Part Deaux)

 
This photo is definitely a favorite from the trip.  I just love his swagger as he enters the park.  He is such a happy, friendly, curious child and places like this fascinate him.  He was pointing out the flags he recognized, talking to other visitors, and asking lots of questions.  I'm so glad that he has already developed an interest in history.  I know he will have an important place in our future!

And Sister loves to wave at and talk to people too!  She wanted to make sure the other visitors didn't miss the carvings in the mountain so she was pointing them out to everyone.  "Look right there!" she kept saying.
Yay! Everyone is looking at the camera and you can see the presidents too!  The nicest lady offered to take this picture for us and then saw us later and offered again at a different spot.  I am always so appreciative when people offer and I want to do the same for others.  It's important to have these family pics with Mom and Dad in them.


After we toured the visitors center we took the long hike to the sculptors studio.  Lots of steps, but the kids did great and it was fun to see the presidents from different vantage points like this little nook we found.
Sissy on the steps.  She wanted to "do it myself".  So we were a bit behind the boys but we made it. 
The Sculptors Studio was so cool.  We learned that the majority of the mountain was "carved" with dynamite!  And the air conditioning was nice for a break before we tackled the return trip.  Sis did a little less walking this time and Best did a little more carrying.  Thanks Dad!
Seeing it was Peanut's 5th birthday that day we figured he was ready for a grown up adventure!  I thought he was so brave as he eagerly climbed aboard the ski lift to go on the Alpine Slide. 
They had so much fun!  I think next time we will have a picture of Sis and I racing down!
After a quick trip to Walmart to stock up on "camping supplies" we made it to the cabin.  It was located in a beautiful forested area but once inside we were definitely not roughing it!
The balloons and banners are in honor of Peanut's birthday.  Best set it up so the cabin would be decorated and cake and ice cream waiting for us.  It was such a great idea but didn't surprise me a bit because that's just the sort of creative thoughtful man he is.  Smile.
The tablecloth was a hockey rink and there was even a hockey puck piñata!  All Minnesota Wild theme and we saved some of the décor which now hang in Peanut's room.  The cabin itself was gorgeous and for less than 200 a night we felt like it was a steal!  Great planning ahead on Best's part.
 We ate a lot of cake in those three days...


And we saved a gift for the cabin, a remote controlled police car.  We had so much fun making obstacle courses for it!
 We keep the kids on bedtime schedules when we travel which works well for our family.  After a full day they are ready for bed at 7 and Best and I are ready for some alone (together) time.  We enjoyed some of that time in this private hot tub on the deck. 
Later we dried off and I enjoyed some quiet time on the deck with a new book and Best watched some of the Stanley Cup.  Our first three days done and a great time had by all.  Ok, stayed tuned for more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you dropped by and how you are doing!