Monday, July 25, 2016

Quite Naturally

One of our favorite things about the new house is that it includes a nice size pond on the property.  When we first moved in the grass was not so tall and it was pretty easy to get to.  Wet, but we got ourselves some boots and it was no stopping us!  That is until summer came in full force and the reeds reached Mom's eyebrows...but I may have mentioned a couple of times to Best that I was missing our little exploring trips and what do you know? He cleared us a trail.  He earns that title.  So here we are, doing what we love: fishing with sticks.
My dear friend Star know a lot about the great outdoors and had given me the tip about treating our pond for mosquito larvae before they hatch and it really paid off.  We bought some dunks and spread them liberally.  I feel sure they are working because I notice a difference in our pond than some of the  other similar places we visit.
Peanut always likes to look for frogs and snakes and we usually see at least one frog.  He wants to eventually go all the way around the pond and I have promised him I will do that with him...and without Sissy.
See the rectangular object in the pond?  We aren't sure what it is.  We might take binoculars next time and try to get a closer look.  We plan on clearing the pond before it freezes for skating so we'll find out for sure then!
A few weeks back Peanut and Best were out in the yard and they found a snakeskin.  I'm not actually sure who found it, but Peanut quickly claimed it as his own.  He was so proud of it and knew exactly where he wanted to show it off.
I love our science museum.  It has so many exhibits geared towards children and even a special day where kids 5 and under get in free and there are activities set up for them around the museum.  This day Peanut was headed straight for Collectors Corner. 
 This is a spot where kids can bring in things they find in nature to trade or just to learn more about them.  Peanut wanted to hang on to his snake skin but he was happy to show it off and both ask and answer questions about it. 
Afterwards we did do some of the special activities and earned stickers at each station to turn in for a prize at the end of our day.  Sister picked a magnifying glass and Peanut chose a balsa wood flyer.

 
This is one of my favorite things at the museum.  The 15 minute shows they put on made especially for young children.  Both kids listen and participate and I always learn something too! The actors are funny and full of energy.  My all time favorite was the one about the water cycle where the actresses had toilets on their heads.  I though Peanut was going to laugh his head off!
And of course we have to climb up in the Jonathan Towboat.  Sometimes there's a wait, and if so, we wait.  Because it's very exciting to the kids.  I do love how while we wait Peanut will ask me to read the information posted and ask questions.  And it is a great view!
One of the other exhibits on this particular day was medical hoaxes or contraptions that people thought did things that they absolutely did not.   Like this "intelligence tester". 
And Sister continues to love the audio tour phones.  She used to talk back to them but now I notice she just listens.  I have no idea if she understands any of it but she looks like she's concentrating on something!

 
And we always end the trip the same way.  Sharing one of our favorite treats.  Who knows?  Maybe one of the kids will be eating this in space some day!
See that little hand reaching out from the bottom of the picture?  My photo was slowing down her snack and it was not appreciated, ha!  Have a great week friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you dropped by and how you are doing!